Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Spamazon

Warning: rant coming. [I will beg your pardon, in advance.]

Amazon.com is great. I love books and love to learn. I probably purchase one book per month on Amazon. But I really dislike the frequency of unsolicited e-mail that Amazon sends me.

Again, I love the Web site. Love the selection ... and the reliability ... not to mention the simplicity of ordering. But on the down side, I probably receive three e-mails a week, suggesting a book that might be of interest to me ... or offering me some discount or free shipping. Enough already! Thanks for the suggestions and all, but I would really be more happy if Amazon would reduce their frequency of e-mail messages to me by about 50%

Anyone else share this frustration?

[We'll see if Amazon is monitoring "the groundswell"--I will be sure to let you know if they find and respond to this post. Stay tuned.]

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm really surprised to read this because one of the things I've always loved about Amazon is that they never, ever send me email other than order-related information or things that I have very specifically opted in for. (Now, the mess they made of my last order is another story.)

8:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can turn this off in your account.

8:05 AM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Dear Anonymous Commenter,

Thank you for the tip. I will check into changing my account setting.

Skip

10:37 AM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

John,

I am always pleased to see you in on the conversation. Thanks for jumping in on the Amazon discussion. I am going to check on my account settings (per the advice of the other commenter).

Btw, you blog seems to be growing and flourishing! Keep up the great work.

Skip

10:38 AM

 
Blogger ScLoHo (Scott Howard) said...

I am so used to deleting their email that it is losing its intended effect which is to get me to open it up, read it, and buy something.

Too many sales with any business takes away the specialness. That's what Amazon has done to us with their constant emails. Oops, guess I ranted a bit too.

Anyway, I agree Skip, less would be more. One or two per month would be nice.

5:01 PM

 
Blogger Lindsay Wiles said...

Hello Skip,

I have the same issue with Amazon, and I've even changed the settings on my account. The emails just won't stop coming!!!

4:47 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Scott,

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who is annoyed by such spamazonian tactics. Thanks for adding to our conversation.

Skip

3:08 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Lindsay,

What shall we do to counter the Spamzons? If I didn't love the service so much (if I weren't so hooked), I would take my business elsewhere.

Thanks for adding your genius to this growing online community!

Skip

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

An update: I've received three new messages from Spamazon over the past five days. I tried to use the "Unsubscribe" feature in one of their messages, and it was malfunctioning. Obviously, this is not good.

Skip

1:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home