Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Look Closer, Closer. There's another design elem...

How often do you study brand logos? I guess the folks at Maple including myself do it for a living. I recently got into a scuffle with one of our graphic designers about a hidden element in a well-known corporate logo, FedEx. She had claimed that the logo contained an arrow in it. I of course bet the farm that no arrow was present and she was out of her mind. Most of these conversations took place after work hours when I was driving around town and I saw FedEx trucks. I studied and studied the fonts and colors and found nothing.

A few days after the initial argument, she pointed out the obvious. It was right in front of my face all along and I couldn't see it.

I told me wife about it as well and she argued with me until she was blue in the face. Once I unveiled it to her she thought the designers did it by accident. I of course disagreed.

I have asked many people I know including FedEx employees and most don't know it exists.

The moral of the story is there is usually more than meets the eye in design elements today. Look closer and you will find them.

P.S. The closer thing is a Star Wars and South Park rip off.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's the logo. Once you identified it, I finally saw it.

9:30 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Okay, so I crossed my eyes...stood far away from the computer screen...sat insanely close to the screen....

I did everything but stand on my head and I still didn't see it.

I'll keep looking at it until I finally see it.

It's not surprising that I can't see it b/c I have never been good at those "hidden picture" puzzle things.
:(

7:22 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

I was stuck behind a FedEx truck today in traffic and I kept staring at the logo and I still can't see it...

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Coloratura said...

look in between the 'e' and 'x', you sillies!

-- a designer

3:56 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Coloratura,
You're a lifesaver! I didn't see it until you pointed it out. It was driving me crazy, too. I appreciate your help!

Thanks again!

7:59 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

thats was clever, i look that logo many times, the kinko, the company who design it Landor Associate. Now I look at it again, WOW,

8:02 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Frank-
We're glad you are here. Thanks for taking the time to post a comment.

Best regards,
Skip

1:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home