Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Monday, April 25, 2005

More on Wendy's

Two days after my recent post about the Wendy's PR debacle, the investigative authorities announced that the "fingertip in the chili" was a hoax. It seems that Ms. Ayala had planted the appendage as a means for seeking damages from Wendy's.

Obviously, this news changes things quite a bit. This is a powerful message point for Wendy's, one that enables them to take a position of power ... one of forthrightness.

My commentary and my musings on the topic had little to do about the "right or wrong" of the matter. I was focused on the "dollars and sense" (and brand equity) of the matter. (Recall the 20% to 50% sales decline in California.)

Regardless of whether Wendy's was blameless or blameworthy, I did not feel that they were handling the matter in a sufficiently pro-active, aggressive manner. You just don't let sales suffer like that at the mercy of public opinion.

Hey-I call 'em like I see 'em.

Now ... how and where can I still get that free milkshake?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home