Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

How to Drink Coffee

Why do shampoo bottles, toothpaste tubes and cereal boxes have directions on them?

Because customers need help using your product. The clearer, the better.

The classic upsell is on a shampoo bottle: Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

If you follow the directions, you go through the product pretty darn quick.

Today, as I purchased a coffee from Starbucks (the sleeve I was given was thick enough - no hot hands I'm happy to say - see below) I found a handy-dandy-how-to-drink-our-coffee guide.

Now, if you can't tell, I'm a heavy coffee drinker. I know how to make, drink and enjoy (probably too much) strong coffee.

But the guide was interesting to me. It explained the differences about the products Starbucks offers. Because to be honest, I am a pretty plain and simple fellow - Tall, Dark Roast. Period.

But the guide basically guides you through the way that you can buy the more expensive products Starbucks has to offer.

Brilliant. Give me a point of purchase informational guide so that I consider buying a more expensive drink on my next visit that I may not have been able to understand before.

I still can't say Chantico, but I know what it is and why I'm craving one right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home