Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Overheard Recently at the Swimming Pool

One fine Saturday afternoon I was cooling off at the neighborhood pool, when I happened to paddle into the the following conversation:

"Twitter? Is that like ... one of those blog things? Yeah, I tried blogging. So many folks told that me I should have a blog. Finally, I told my IT guy to put one of those damn blogs on my Web site. We had it up for four days. Four whole days! And guess what happened ... NOTHING! Not one, single order. I had him take it down the next day."

The above comments [verbatim] are from a highly successful and respected area business professional. She is a consultant who provides advice and counseling services to private-pay clients. While her comments may be a bit hasty and dramatic, she is not foolish, backward, old-school or a novice. She is successful, driven and respected.

I share her commentary with you, not to poke fun at her. Instead, I share it with you to highlight one attitude that exists in mainstream America:

It had better work. And it had better work fast.

Some way, some how, this woman expected a blogging strategy to pay off within four days. In some respect, she is representative of the the universe of potential clients for companies like yours and mine.

Are you offering a service or product that will show results after only four days? What does your client believe? If your service or solution will take longer, how are you managing your client's expectations? Will your client allow ample time for a marketing campaign or a blog to build momentum and show impact, or will they expect the quick, easy solution?

What do you say, marketing geniuses, how long is a reasonable time period for a blogging (or other social media) strategy to generate new business? Gosh, from my perspective, I was glad when my blog brought me my first new customer after four years. The other lady expected results after four days. Maybe I am just too patient.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger ScLoHo (Scott Howard) said...

4 Days?!? Someone needs to take the time to explain how the internet is not some magic bullet and any website is not a magic magnet. A website is just a tool, one that is used to build, enhance or perhaps enhance relationships.

Might as well turn off her phones and take down her website completely, if she isn't making money with them by lunch time.

Yes people are wanting instant results, the speed of the internet when we are doing a search has conditioned us to expect this.

What's missing in this persons thinking, (and lots of others) is the understanding of human behavior that moves at a slower, more cautious pace. That's why repetition matters. But Skip, I'm sure you know all this.

10:50 AM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Scott-

Well said, my good man. I agree wholeheartedly with your wise perspective.

Thanks for taking the time to join this conversation. Our community thrives on the voices of marketing geniuses like you.

Skip

1:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree...this is so true beyond Internet and blogging arenas.

Often great marketing campaigns fall short because of impatience on the part of the marketer pulling the plug too soon.

4:21 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Meghann,

Thanks for your comment. You raise such a great point: the pulling-the-plug-too-soon effect. If I had a nickel for every time that happened!

Hope to see you and your comments around here again soon!

Skip

11:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They forget that's it's about creating a community and relating to people. I don't think it's much different than a website except it's more personal and sometimes more effective.

9:19 AM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

casey--

I really appreciate your comment. Well said! What's up with this short-term-gain mentality? Does everyone expect and need a quick fix?

Skip

4:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home