Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Next Generation Marketing: Personal Perspective

In the past two weeks ...
Number of network TV shows I've watched: 0
Number of new RSS feeds I've added to my feed reader: 10
Number of new Twitter feeds I have begun following: 15
Number of new Facebook friends I have added: 5

In the past month ...
Number of books I've purchased from a bookstore: 0
Number of books I've bought from online vendors: 4

Who's reaching me lately with persuasive messages ...

Via traditional media/advertising: no one.
Via next generation marketing: bloggers, twitter users, Facebook users and authors who get Next Generation Marketing.

Am I unique? Not so much. I would say that a shift has occured. What do you say? What's your experience?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skip-

The method in which we receive and obtain our information has most certainly shifted. A recent assignment for my graduate class, Media Analysis, required me to watch an hour of television and record the number of commercials I viewed. Do you know how difficult this was?! I don’t watch television any longer; I simply don’t have the time or the patience to do so. And even if I do, I usually flip through the channels during commercials anyway. Instead, like you, I take advantage of the new marketing methods to get what I want.

WVU even offers a course in its Integrated Marketing Communications program called Emerging Media. This online (who would have ever thought one could obtain a degree online!) course is designed to provide students with an inside look at how modern industry is using emerging media to enhance the IMC process. Students examine many kinds of emerging media including: podcasts, Webcasts, social marketing, banner ads, blogs, pop-ups, pop-unders, email, and short films.

The final project for the course is to create and maintain a blog. How fun is that?!

JJ

8:53 AM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

JJ-

What a fun project! Thank you for your insightful commentary.

Skip

11:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home