Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Monday, May 30, 2005

How Advertising Works

A really cool thing happened to me this morning.

I witnessed a small ad in a newspaper work.

Here's the story:

For about a year, I have been driving an old, high-mileage (160K miles), pseudo-reliable Jeep to work.

Two weeks ago, I realized that I needed to bite the bullet and get a second (newer, more-reliable, safer) vehicle. I have three small children and my work has recently caused me to spend more and more time on the road.

Now, my Jeep, sits behind my house, waiting for me to figure out what I want to do with it.

My initial idea is to donate the car to something called the "Good News Mountaineer Garage." They fix up older cars and provide them to people that are reentering the workforce.

I don't even know if they would want the beast of a car - I just hoped it would do someone some good.

I have not called yet, the task keeps getting knocked down on my list. It also involved a trip to the DMV to get the title.

Lo' an behold, there in the newspaper, a small space ad that said "Donate That Car." Oh, it gets better - "we handle the DMV" and "we pick up your vehicle."

Can you belive it? This ad was two inches wide by one inch high, no pictures - just pure feature benefit, targeted towards a pretty small audience - specifically me.

I clipped the ad, will call in the morning and hopefully someone will get some good use out of my old Jeep.

Advertising Works!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw a spot on the evening news about someone who""left it up to the other guy" to handle the DMV paperwork. Turns out the car was used in a crime and guess who's name was still on the registration?

Giving away your car without securing the proper transfer paperwork can land you IN JAIL.

http://www.wsvn.com/features/articles/helpmehoward/MI26912/

5:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Good News Mountaineer Garage will get you to transfer your title to the car the day they pick it up. Also at that time you get a letter acknowledging your donation. From then on you don't have to do anything. The title is transferred to GNMG and the donor gets another letter within 30 days that concerns the IRS deduction you get. It's simple and they email a picture of the family that got my car - all around a great experience.

9:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home