Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Sweepstakes Junkie

Confession #1: I am playing the Publishers' Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. I mean really playing it. Hook. Line. And sinker. It's been hyhpothesized that Sales*Marketing Types, like me, are highly susceptible to clever, compelling pitches. I am living proof of it.

For me, watching the sweepstakes unfold is like watching Brett Favre or Joe Montana lead a game-winning, 4th quarter scoring drive. They don't go for the touchdown all at once. They accomplish progress in chunks. Take what they can get. They work the clock. They keep moving ahead.

The Publishers' Clearinghouse process is much the same. It draws me in with mesmerizing, odds-defying momentum. Its power, force and sheer magnitude is a weird sort of beauty.

Confession #2: I have ordered something at nearly every round of the sweepstakes--and there have been at least 5 rounds that I can recall. Why do I order? Complicated thing. It is NOT because I hold any hope of winning anything. It is certainly not because I want to receive more magazines than my family can possibly read. No ... it's almost out of respect for the wickedly clever structure and relentlessness of the campaign. My quirky brain thinks, "Let's draw Publisher's Clearinghouse out. Let's see how far they will take this thing!"

From a marketing perspective, there are levels of cleverness - like an onion.

1. Huge cash prize (fortune)

2. TV & other media exposure (fame)

3. Multiple chances to say "yes" or "no" (repetition)

4. Systematic process appeal, which engenders commitment and deepens the crediblity. [Place sticker "A" on spot "14" and your "Extra Bonus" sticker on its designated space.] (sly sales tactic)

5. They learn more about me based on what magazines I order; then susequently present more of the stuff I'm inclined to like (psychograhic targeting)

6. The offers and headlines are so carefully worded with sneaky disclaimers and waivers. "May have won." "Now qualified to be entered into a drawing." Actually this is really slimy stuff that I do not condone in any way shape or form. (ad*sales copy)

7. Timing of the offers. The campaign starts at approximately the time when magazines subscriptions are starting to expire. The spacing between offers is cleverly calculated to hit just often enough to leverage the repetition effect--but not overly frequent. (frequency & timing)

Publishers' (we're on a first name basis now) recently informed me that I have attained VIP customer status. Pardon me, while I straighten my ascot. In fact they called me last Saturday morning to inform me that they are sending me 10 more magazine subscriptions, free of charge for one year, no strings attached. They picked the mags, and their selections weren't half bad. (In case you were wondering... yes, I do recycle.)

I wonder ... I just wonder what comes next. What if I purchase again? Hmmmm.

(To Be Continued)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home