Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Goodbye, Maple

Summer interns. What would you do without them? Thirsty for nothing but experience and wondering what they are going to do with their life, they can actually turn out to be a part of your team.

I’ve had the pleasure and opportunity to work with Maple as a summer intern for the last eight weeks and from a soon-to-be college senior, I can tell you this: Treat your interns like they are a part of your marketing team. Maple tossed me into the mix and gave me more experience than I could have ever asked for.

Before taking on the internship with Maple, I was very skeptical about my future. From a family full of lawyers, it always seems that law school would be the way to go. I didn’t need to work with a law firm all summer to see how it works. I see it day in and day out. I wanted more. As a Public Relations major at WVU, I needed to see exactly what I would do in the ‘real world’. In my interview I explained that I just wanted to learn and gain experience this summer. I wanted to know what happened in a firm day in and day out and I wanted to see if it was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

And so, they did. I learned everything from press conferences to media kits to thank you letters to pitching a story to the news. I also got to see how all of the different aspects of Maple’s team work together with the marketing, advertising, public relations and the graphic design team. Maple has a top-notch team full of talent that is sure to continue to grow and do more great things in the future. They taught me so much this summer and the knowledge is irreplaceable. I have taken a step in the right direction for a successful future this summer, that’s for sure.

So, I’m sad to leave Maple Creative. You would be, too. Every single person here counts and it’s an amazing atmosphere. With such wonderful people, it’s easy to see how they produce such outstanding work. To have an internship at such a fantastic firm for the summer was one thing, but to learn as much as I did and make the friends I have, it made this summer a true experience that I will never forget. Thanks again, and I'll miss you all!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Julie-

Thanks for this wonderful farewell commentary! You were a superstar this summer!! Thanks for working so hard, learning so much and contributing a ton to the Maple team effort. It was "game on" crunch time all summer, and I'm glad that you got to experience the marketing profession in its full glory. We'll be looking for that first post from Morgantown during your Senior year. Perhaps you could post something about sore muscles resulting from track conditioning and practice sessions.
~Skip

3:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home