Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Director of First Impressions? Oh, really?

Earlier this week, I had a meeting with a dear business colleague. It was my first visit to his office.

Upon my arrival, I was impressed by the unique, elegant design of this office space. It's one of those building that you pass by a thousand times but never enter. Seriously, I was "Wow'd."

Making my way to the rather impressive reception desk (i.e., hexagonal control center), I noticed an impossible-to-miss brass desk placard, emblazoned with the following title:

"DIRECTOR OF FIRST IMPRESSIONS."

Whoa, I thought. This outfit has it together. I was fully expecting to be blown away with a first-class greeting.

Instead, the middle-age lady seated within the impressive-yet-imposing reception hexagon had her head down. Her brain was buried in a spreadsheet. This lady never turned to greet me; her body was turned at a right angle to me. She was busy...too busy, in fact, to make eye contact with me. After an extended period of awkwardness, she said plainly, "May I help you?"

When I informed her whom I was there to see, without turning her head she buzzed my acquaintance on the intercom and shot me a sideways glance. Then, she informed me that "he would be with me in a few minutes."

Director of first impression? Sheesh! What a lame first impression.

Marketing geniuses know that if you are going to have a bold title like that one, emblazoned for all to see, you have to live up to its billing.

My take: the placard would have read, more aptly, "DIRECTOR OF LAME FIRST IMPRESSIONS."

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first face your visitors see when they enter your office, whether it is a receptionist or co-worker, makes the "first impression."

When someone enters into the "meet and greet" zone, they should be acknowledged in a genuine and professional manner. It doesn't have to be lengthy or involved either, and they certainly do not need to hear about "your day" or "your life." Just keep it SIMPLE AND SINCERE, and none of this tone to suggest you're having a bad day.

Just remember, that the greeting or acknowledgment they receive as they pass by the reception area/desk may set the tone for the rest of their day.

11:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first face your visitors see when they enter your office, whether it is a receptionist or co-worker, makes the "first impression."

When someone enters into the "meet and greet" zone, they should be acknowledged in a genuine and professional manner. It doesn't have to be lengthy or involved either, and they certainly do not need to hear about "your day" or "your life." Just keep it SIMPLE AND SINCERE, and none of this tone to suggest you're having a bad day.

Just remember, that the greeting or acknowledgment they receive as they pass by the reception area/desk may set the tone for the rest of their day.

11:33 AM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Dear Anonymous Commenter,

Thanks for your sage words. You are absolutely correct!

Are you a receptionist, by chance?

I'm glad you joined this conversation, and I hope we'll see you here on the Marketing Genius blog, again, soon.

Skip

3:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, actually I am in the business. I've been blessed with working for and with other agencies, and I have seen my fair share of poor first impressions.

And believe me, there are some outstanding receptionists out there, so let's not single them out. There are some employees out there who need to take a long look at themselves and how they represent their office.

1:58 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your reply and for your insights. Loved your statement:
"need to take a long look at ... how they represent their office."

We were calling media reps today to schedule time to discuss a large buy, the phone etiquette was deplorable.

Any way, hope you'll continue to read and to share thoughts & ideas.

Skip

12:49 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

UPDATE:

They have removed this sign (desk placard) from the reception station at this office.

Hmmm.......

11:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very interested to see all of the comments. I have just started at a new job as Director of First Impressions. I have to admit I thought the title was a bit over the top. I really believe that when someone walks into our place of business it is my job (duty) to present a good first impression. Sometimes I feel belittled by people like you who act like they are better than the RECEPTIONIST. A word of advice be nice to me or you won't get past the front door. Let's face it we are all in the same business of selling ourselves and our product so why do we have to rank each other?

11:12 PM

 
Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

Dear Anonymous

Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you joined the conversation. I really appreciate your reminder to all of us of how important it is to respect and appreciate the receptionist. I know that I am no better than anyone else and always conduct myself in a humble, respectful manner. "Rank" matters very little to me.

Best of luck in your new position. Wishing you much success-

Skip

3:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home