Marketing Genius from Maple Creative

HOME

Marketing tips, observations & philosophy, plus a few rants and random musings - from those who practice, preach and teach marketing, research, advertising, public relations and business strategy.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What’s the Deal with All the Boring Voicemail Greetings?

WHY are voicemail greetings such a yawn these days? “You have reached Bob Smith with Widget, Inc. I’m not in right now, but please leave your name and number, and I’ll return your call as soon as possible.”

If you catch someone’s voicemail today, there’s a 99.9% chance that you’ll hear some variation of the above. I had one of these dull greetings myself until about five minutes ago when I decided to change it to the following:

Welcome to Emily Bennington’s voicemail, Marketing Director for Maple Creative. Sorry for missing your call – let me know what you need and we’ll make it happen.

It’s not award-winning by any measure, but at least it doesn’t state the obvious (i.e., I’m not in) or insult the caller by telling them what they already know to do (i.e., leave a message).

All day long I sit with clients and tell them how to differentiate themselves and rise above the noise. Sometimes this is accomplished with grand, sweeping acts – a large-scale TV buy for example – but sometimes you can stand out just as much simply by doing the small things a little differently.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Coffield said...

Great idea Emily. I plan to change my voice mail tomorrow.

1:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it, Emily! When the phone continues to ring, it's an obvious point that the voicemail is going to pick up. If I stay on the line, I know that you are not available at the time and if I want to reach you, I'm going to leave a message. Leaving something different for callers to hear when they are leaving you a voicemail gives them a "wow" before they even talk to you. Great idea!

12:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home